Learning Disabilities & Mental Health (LDMH) Counselling
Specialized child & youth mental health counselling services provided by a multidisciplinary team with knowledge in the field of mental health and learning disabilities. Therapeutic approaches are curated to each child’s learning style and helps them understand their learning disabilities, develop coping mechanisms and improve their self-esteem and confidence.
- Family therapy
- Specialized groups (parent and child/youth)
- Individual therapy
- School advocacy and support
- Service coordination
Therapeutic Recreation Programs provide children and youth with mental health issues and learning disabilities the opportunity to learn new skills and take calculated risks in a safe, supportive environment, something they may avoid trying in other social settings (school, teams, clubs, etc.).
Our programs consist of:
- Young Warriors: A 20-week group intervention program for children ages 9 to 11 years old with learning disabilities who experience difficulties with attention and self-regulation.
- Mindfulness Martial Arts (MMA) Program: A 20-week group program for youth 12-18 years old with learning disabilities and self-regulation disorders, integrating elements of evidence-based interventions with Martial Arts Training to provide comprehensive programming that promotes mental health and physical wellness that addresses key challenges in emotion regulation.
Therapeutic Martial Arts Programs are fee-based services.
Towhee Summer Camp
A therapeutic-based, life-changing camp experience for children ages 10 to 18 with mental health difficulties complicated by the presence of learning disabilities. Located in Haliburton, Ontario, Towhee is managed by staff and counsellors who are highly trained and experienced in supporting children and youth with mental health issues and learning disabilities. On-going consultation is also provided by a team of child and family therapists.
Children learn to express themselves and regulate their emotions through activities that include:
- Experiential Arts (therapeutic music, dance, drama, visual arts)
- Adventure-Based Learning (canoeing, out-tripping, waterfront)
- Excel Program (ropes course and climbing wall)
Learn more at https://childdevelop.ca/towhee/.